Frequently Asked Questions
01. What is NL-19?
NL-19 is a proprietary metal treatment that treats the surface and prevents corrosion. The net gain is our NL-19 metal treatment Stainless steel will not rust or corrode as opposed to non-treated stainless steel. Our metal treatment creates a boundary layer against the elements and protects stainless steel, thus resulting in less maintenance and less surface contamination.
02. When you have square tubing do you compromise that surface??
NL-19 will not compromise the surface on square tubing.
03. If you bend or form the material are you exposing the outside area to more corrosion?
There will be some slight exposure, but nothing significant.
04. Now in the field if the surface gets damaged or nicked what can you do?
If the raw materials are chipped or broken they will be exposed to the environment, they will have to be metal treatmented again. There is currently no way to spot metal treatment small pieces in the field. However, we ensure minimum damage while in transit.
05. Who’s your competition and what is the cost?
Currently there is no competition and the cost varies based on the project size and per piece count. Typoically the cost is 20 to 30 percent higher than non-treated stainless steel.
06. Is your metal treatment an all chemical metal treatment?
There are some chemical steps in the metal treatment, but there are also a variety of other “proprietary” steps involved in creating a final product. In total it is a complicated 19 step metal treatment that we have developed over the last 15 years. We profess that we are making a truly green product.
07. Have you had any failures?
The product is guaranteed for life, (see disclaimer) provided there is no damage to the pieces, there have not been any reported failures in the past 15 years of using this metal treatment or early iterations of the metal treatment.
08. What’s the cure time?
Once the metal treatment is complete it is done, there is no cure time.
09. Is your metal treatment chemically inert?
The metal treatment is totally inert. And we have preformed many tests, even out gassing is nonexistent.
10. Does it bleed or leech into the environment?
The metal treatment is completely clean and nothing will leach into the environment.
11. Does the coating ever get stripped from the surface say when you’re tightening a nut?
Galling will happen if the fastener is over torqued, however this metal treatment will reduce the galling significantly. By adding white lithium grease or WD-40 it will help considerably.
12. So do you have to use any spray lubricant?
It is not mandatory, but can be used to significantly reduce galling.
13. Does NL-19 affect the adhesion properties with regard to concrete…
We have not seen any advantage or disadvantage to using NL-19 with rebar and concrete.
14. Does your product work on couplers?
As long as it is a stainless steel product, yes NL-19 can be applied
15. Can your product be applied in the field?
No, it has to be metal treatmented in house.
16. Will you have any options for colorization or sheen?
Yes we can treat the finished metal treatmented surface to look duller with no shine. It can be powder coated or painted like any other metal surface at an additional cost.
17. Will powder-coating make it last longer?
Yes, in general, if done properly it can increase the life of the material significantly. This is a loaded question because power-coating is a metal treatment that needs to be controlled and done correctly.
18. Can it be brushed?
Yes, NL-19 surfaces can be brushed with scotch brite or a similar type of scuffing material. Do not use steel wool, it will impart contaminates which will contaminate the metal treatmented surface.